September 11, 2016
Dr. Shane Wood, Teaching Minister at College Heights, teaches that prayer is intentional engagement with the presence of God. You can watch this unique service here.
Use these questions to help you explore the theme of the message further.
QUESTION 1: PRAY
Take a moment and pause, asking God to bring to your mind the name of someone to pray for this next week. What type of prayer will you offer them: intercession, petition, or thanksgiving?
QUESTION 2: SPEAK
If we looked at our language as a constant out-flowing of prayer, how would our speech change? (e.g., Would we use different words? Would we use a different tone of voice? Would we speak more often? Would we speak to different people?)
QUESTION 3: GROW
What is one new prayer practice you will commit to add this next week (e.g., journal, silence, praying the Psalms, prayer walk in your neighborhood, etc.)?
QUESTION 4: LOVE
If God is love, as 1 John 4:16 says, how does that change your approach to prayer? Or, to view it from the opposite direction, if God is unforgiving how would that change your approach to prayer?
THE BIG DAY
September 25 will be our Great Day of Prayer (in place of our Great Day of Service). Things to know:
- There will be one shortened service on September 25 at 9:15 AM (no childcare).
- You can pick up a free t-shirt in the Atrium.
- Highlight on the map in the Atrium where you will pray.
- You do not need to fill out a form this year.
- We generally are not doing service projects, but will serve our community by praying for them.
- If you would still like to participate in a service project on September 25, you can contact email@example.com.